Wednesday, August 6, 2008

No relation to me

Sun gives way to the backside of a quarter moon. Bikers of the weekends only persuasion roar south on Albert Street. The moment I remove my glasses they roar back.

I began to work (some kind of writing work) on Hillsdale today, the day I read in the Archives about the new Broad Street bridge F.W. Hill (who died just two or three weeks ago) wanted to build to link to his development south of Wascana Lake. He went ahead and built it. This was 1959.

Suburbs in Don Mills and Winnipeg were presented as how good life in a suburb like Hillsdale could be. Taxes from the new development would allow the City to repay Hill's company in ten years, was the idea Hill proposed.

Dad and Mom and three of us kids moved into Hillsdale in August, 1961.

No comments: