Friday, July 3, 2015

It’s smokier than ever

I have a feeling it will get worse.

I have a feeling tonight it will hail through the smoke and nail my garlic. It's a critical time. There’s a risk of thunderstorms overnight and active warnings for the fire zone just a block west, so the possibility is there, yet I opted not to pick the garlic scapes for some reason. Sometimes feelings are just feelings. Sometimes you go with them. The scapes have curled around like sleeping bears or thoughts of bears, but this is the first time I’ve grown garlic and I’m not sure they’re fully grown, thus the hesitation, not that they need to be mature to be worthy. I suppose if it doesn’t storm we’ll grill them tomorrow. No amount of oil will keep the pointy ends from burning. That much I know already. 

I have a feeling a bear will unearth my potatoes in the meantime, drool baby potatoes as it heads for the chives. The bear is puffing. I’ve had this feeling for days. The reduced air quality must be causing Smokey Bear flashbacks. Regardless, the chives are especially nice this year, perhaps thanks to the ash.

I have a feeling this feeling in my chest will pass. 

No comments: