Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Fully adjustable

I'm adjusting to the new chair. The new chair adjusts anywhichway (spell check put a wiggly red line under anywhichway and suggests highwayman instead) but I'm a tad rigid and lack adequate levers. The old chair and I had that in common. I don't know what happened to the old chair. H rolled it off to its fate and we haven't spoke of it since. I miss the old chair. It was a cheap, armless thing, but I wrote five books while sitting in it and a couple manuscripts besides. I'd still have the old chair if it wasn't for H. I was nearing the end of my revisions this spring when he sat down to help me sort out a computer problem. "How long has your chair been broken?" he asked. Sure enough, the back was flopping around like a trout. I shrugged. I hadn't noticed. Who leans back when reaching for things? The new chair has changed everything. It has contoured arms. They support every move. All I do now is lean back and wait. Sometimes I reach down with the right hand, pull up on a lever, and rock a little.   

No comments: