Thursday, October 28, 2010

Boot Heel: what Leaf fans say to Sharks

I didn't notice anything at first, but next I did. There was a cross in the left boot-heel made with big nails, to keep off the devil.

It's one of those moments when Huck Finn stops his fooling around with Tom Sawyer and gets serious: That's his Pap's boot-print, no doubt about it.  He's heard Huck has come into some money and has drifted back to town to beat it out of him if necessary.

Last night in class I asked, for the fun of it, what Halloween costume they'd choose, if it had to come from Huck Finn or Catcher in the Rye.  "Don't forget about the minor characters," I added, (having already planned my own costume: Ernie, the piano player Holden encounters on his Saturday night in New York).  "And be ready to tell us about your choice."

Half the class was missing because of the weather, and four of the remaining nine students picked Jim, the slave Huck travels down the river with. 

Noreen didn't pick anybody.  "I didn't understand the question," she said.

No comments: